Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Down by the Lake








Nothing beats a walk around Lake Merritt at dusk. When I moved to the Bay Area a year ago I really didn't know much about the East Bay. I stayed with a friend for a couple months because I was homeless and he lived right by the lake. There's something really special about a natural escape being smack dab in the middle of a downtown scenery. And Oakland is no ordinary city. The mix of people and culture in so mistakenly represented. Commonly known as a "dangerous" area, people judge Oakland stiffly, which goes to show how naive the mass public truly is. I'll stop right there, I could go on and on. This post is about beautiful Lake Merritt, which is actually it's location title on FB and Insta! The lake is a common ground wedged at the edge of downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. There's a couple different woodsy escapes, several view points of the downtown skyline, washed up piers, grassy plains, a bird sanctuary and boat docks. There's a little set of islands at one corner. All in all it's a setting that totally represents a relaxed common ground for the diverse crowd of Oakland. I come here to run or explore all the time and it never gets old. With that eclectic Bay Area touch there really is always something new to see here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment